TEES Eminent Professor
Tom Overbye is a Distinguished Research Professor with the Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES) Smart Grid Center in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Texas A&M University. He received his BSEE (’83), MSEE (’88) and Ph.D. (’91) all from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Wisconsin-Madison.
A former Fox Family Professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, he has a wealth of industry experience. Dr. Overbye’s is the original developer of the PowerWorld software and co-founder of PowerWorld Corporation. Prior to PowerWorld, Dr. Overbye spent time at the Madison Gas and Electric Company (’83-’91). Dr. Overbye was also one of the principal DOE investigators following the August 14, 2003, U.S. blackouts.
Dr. Overbye’s Google Scholar Page: [Scholar Page Link]
- Power system analysis and simulations
- Visualization of power system information
- Big data and cyber security applied to power systems
- Power system aspects of geomagnetic disturbances and EMP
- Ph.D. Electrical Engineering, University of Wisconsin, 1991
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Wisconsin, 1988
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Wisconsin, 1983
- IEEE Fellow
- IEEE Power and Energy Society Outstanding Power Engineering Educator Award
- Distinguished Achievement Award, University Wisconsin Madison College of Engineering
- IEEE Third Millennium Medal